Welcome to a land rich in natural beauty, history and tradition. Here in Abruzzo you will find majestic mountains, green hills filled in olive oil trees which go toward the Adriatic Sea, a sea which was commended also by the “Vate”, the great poet from Abruzzo, Gabriele D’Annunzio.
A mysterious region which will hold you with the beautiful quietness of its villages, with the welcoming of its people, with its arts and crafts treasures, with its traditional cooking…
Since the XII and XI century b. Chr., Atri was a prestigious city of ancient time. Atri was also the only city of the Adriatic coast, which stroked his own coin before Rome and thank to his port, one of the most important exchange places. Probably the Adriatic Sea tucks his name from the ancient “Hatria”. In the war against Hannibal, Atri was allied to Rome.
The city had its greater splendor under the dukes of “Acquaviva”. The numerous archaeological finds, disseminated on the surrounding area, are witnesses of the glorious past of Atri.
The city of Teramo has ancient origins, and was the capital of “Practotium”, the name given to the city under the roman dominion. During the dominion of the emperors Augusto and Adriano, the city lived a gold time, during which the baths, the theatre, the amphitheatre and many other monuments were built.
Over the year 1400 Teramo was dismembered by the wars over the families of Melatini, Antonelli, Spennati and Mazzaclocchi. After that, Francesco Sforza and Alfonso d’Aragona got the city, and from the year 1798 until 1815 the city belonged to the French. After 1815 the city was ruled by the Spanish, and followed the history and destiny of southern Italy.
L'Aquila is a city and comune in central Italy, both the capital city of the Abruzzo region and of the Province of L'Aquila. As of 2012, it has a population of 66,565 inhabitants. Laid out within medieval walls on a hill in the wide valley of the Aterno river, it is surrounded by the Apennine Mountains, with the Gran Sasso d'Italia to the north-east.
L'Aquila sits upon a hillside in the middle of a narrow valley; tall snow-capped mountains of the Gran Sasso massif flank the town. A maze of narrow streets, lined with Baroque and Renaissance buildings and churches, open onto elegant piazzas. Home to the University of L'Aquila, it is a lively college town and, as such, has many cultural institutions: a repertory theater, a symphony orchestra, a fine-arts academy, a state conservatory, a film institute.The city presents a tradition in the winter sports with six ski resorts which lies around the city (Campo Imperatore, Ovindoli, Pescasseroli, Roccaraso, Scanno).
The square Piccolomini Castle, with round towers at the corners, was erected in its present form on the top of the San Vittorino Hill. Its construction was commissioned by Count Pietro Berardi around the year 1392, and was finished around 1451. In 1463, it was adapted by the order of Antonio Piccolomini. On January 13, 1915, the castle was seriously damaged by a terrible earthquake that destroyed many villages in the area. The restoration began 25 years later, in 1940, but was interrupted because of the Second World War and was resumed only in 1955, with completion in 1960. Today, the castle hosts the Museum of Sacred Art of the Marsica. The beautiful castle is easily recognisable driving on the highway A25 Rome - Pescara.
Parco Nazionale della Majella
The Maiella National Park (Parco Nazionale della Majella, 740.95 km²) is a national park located in the provinces of Chieti, Pescara and L'Aquila, in the region Abruzzo, Italy.
It is centered around the Maiella massif, whose highest peak is Monte Amaro (2,793 m).
The area of the Majella national Park, especially the Montagna della Majella, has been subject to a major international geoscientific research Project, TaskForceMajella from 1998 up to 2005..
A Park is waiting for you with all the warmth, kindness and hospitality of its Abruzzo strong and gentle.
Grotte di Stiffe - San Demetrio ne' Vestini
La Grotta di Stiffe was known to the locals for a very long time as Stiffe's Risorgenza (Stiffe's Spring). The cave is a river cave, a cave river leaves the Abruzzo mountains through the cave's entrance. The cave entrance lies below a 100 m high overhanging rock face, the impressive view goes from Gran Sasso's mountain range to the L'Aquila valley.
The development of this cave took about 10 years, as floods made working conditions extremely difficult. Additional surveys an laboratory tests resulted in strengthening works with riveted joints and cement injections.
The first part of the cave is an underground river, the path always just a few meters above the river, sometimes crossing the river on metal bridges.
In the Chamber of Silence, the water flows in a deeper level of the cave most of the year. Only when the amount of water rises, the old river bed is still used. The missing water makes this chamber so silent.
An 18 meters high cascade gave the Cascade Chamber its name. The cave explorers had to climb this wall, todays visitors follow an artificial tunnel to reach the higher level of the cave.
The last part of the cave shows several unusual formations, following the river to a last cascade, where the path ends.
The cave is not closed in the winter months, as other tourist caves are. The river has more water and the cascades are most impressive in autumn and spring. And in winter the cave shows a Nativity Scene, showing the story of the birth of Jesus.